Posts for: February, 2021
Are you a denture wearer or anticipate a new prosthetic? Then, the dentists at Craig C. Callen DDS & Associates in Mansfield, OH, ask you to keep your denture in good shape. Dr. Callen and Dr. Nichols know that routine care makes your mouth healthy and your smile sparkling and functional. Learn more here.
There are many wonderful prosthetics available to people who have lost one, two, or even all of their teeth. Custom-crafted from your oral impressions and style preferences, dentures from your Mansfield, OH, dentists are high quality, very functional, well-fitting and natural-looking.
Denture types range from partial dentures to immediate dentures to full, conventional dentures to innovative implant-supported prosthetics. Together, you and your dentist will determine which kind will suit your particular needs.
Caring for dentures
If you're a new denture wearer, understand that it does take time to grow accustomed to your new teeth. Chewing is a bit different than with your natural teeth, and speech changes, too. However, over the ensuing weeks after the denture placement, you'll adjust to your dentures.
After denture placement, you must carefully maintain any remaining natural teeth, your soft oral tissues, and the prosthetic itself. Here are some general guidelines to maintain your health, preserve the structural integrity of your denture and enjoy the good oral function.
Aspects of routine care include:
- Brushing your denture daily with a gentle denture cleaner (approved by the American Dental Association) or even a mild soap and water. Place a towel or washcloth in the bathroom sink (to cushion the denture if you drop it), and use a soft denture brush to remove food particles and plaque.
- Cleaning your denture after each meal and before going to bed. Most people leave dentures out at night to rest their soft oral tissues.
- Brushing and flossing any remaining natural teeth or dental implants.
- Never use hot water to brush or soak your prosthetic as this causes warping.
- Seeing Dr. Callen or Dr. Nichols every six months for a cleaning and check-up. If you develop sore spots on your gums or damage your denture in any way, call the office right away for an appointment.
A great smile
You can have one when you maintain your dentures. At the Mansfield, OH, offices of Craig C. Callen DDS & Associates, we want you to have the best looking and functioning smile possible. Call Dr. Callen or Dr. Nichols with any questions or concerns you may have: (419) 756-0188.